Are you frustrated with a door latch that just won’t budge? A jammed door latch can be incredibly irritating and can cause you to be locked out of rooms, compartments, or even your house. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at why your door latch may be jammed and what solutions you can try to get it moving again.
Taking a Closer Look at Your Jammed Door Latch
When looking closer at a jammed door latch, there can be a few things that may be causing the issue. Depending on the type of door latch, some potential causes of a jam include:
- Blockages in the path of the latch
- Damaged internal components
- Worn out screws or bolts
It’s important to identify what could be causing the problem so that you can choose the best solution for fixing it.
Lever Door Latches
If you have a lever type latch on your door, the most common cause of the jam is a foreign object or a build-up of dirt and dust blocking the path of the latch. It is important to take a look at the area in and around the latch to find any potential blockages.
Deadbolt Door Latches
Deadbolt door latches provide increased security as they are more difficult to open without a key. Despite this, deadbolts can still jam due to worn out screws or bolts, incorrect alignment due to a change in the door’s frame, or other damaged internal components.
Once you have identified the problem, there are several solutions you can try to fix your jammed door latch.
- Cleaning – You can start by cleaning out any dirt or other debris if the issue with your door latch is blockage.
- Lubrication – Applying some lubricant such as WD-40 or lubricating oil can help get a stuck latch moving again if the issue is due to dryness or a lack of lubrication.
- Replacing Components – If your latch is jammed due to broken internal components or worn out screws or bolts, you may need to look into replacing those components.
Having a jammed door latch can be a huge inconvenience, but the good news is that there are a variety of solutions for the problem depending on what is causing the jam. Understanding the cause of the problem is the first step in finding a solution and, with a bit of patience and problem-solving skills, you’ll be able to get your door latch moving again in no time.
Looking for Locksmith In Marietta?