Do you want to secure your sliding closet doors? If so, you’ll need to know how to lock sliding closet doors. There are several ways you can do this, and the method you choose will depend on your door type and your personal preferences.
Some of you may often overlook the importance of locking these doors, but it is essential to home security. By adding a simple locking mechanism to your sliding mirror closet doors, you can rest assured that your kid’s safety and personal items are secure. This post will discuss how to lock sliding closet doors in a few easy steps. Let’s get started!
Reason Why You Should Lock Your Sliding Closet Doors
You may be wondering why it is necessary to lock your sliding closet doors. After all, most people don’t even think twice about leaving these doors unlocked. However, there are a few reasons why you should always make sure to lock these doors when you are not home. Some of the reasons include:
- To deter burglars: If a burglar knows that your home has unlocked sliding closet doors, they may be more likely to target your home. If you put your essential belongings in your closet, you don’t want to make it easy for a burglar to get to them. By adding a lock to your sliding closet doors, you can deter burglars and help keep your home safe.
- To keep children safe: If you have small children in your home, keeping them safe from harm is important. Sliding closet doors could be hazardous for small children if left unlocked. If a child were to get into your closet, they could easily hurt themselves on the door or the things inside the closet. Locking your sliding closet doors can help prevent accidents and keep your children safe.
- To protect your belongings: If you have expensive items in your closet, you may want to consider how to lock sliding closet doors to protect them. If you have jewelry, electronics, or other valuable items in your closet, keeping them safe from theft is essential.
How Do You Childproof a Sliding Closet Door?
Children tend to be curious by nature and may want to explore every nook and cranny of your home, including your closet. But with sliding doors, the risk of a child getting injured is even higher. They might try to climb on the door or play with the door handle and get stuck. To prevent this from happening, you can childproof your sliding closet doors in a few simple steps:
Cover the Sliding Closet Door
While Sliding doors are trendy and modern, they can pose a security risk if not adequately secured. One way to lock your sliding closet doors is to cover the door with a piece of wood or another object. This will prevent the door from being opened and make it more difficult for a burglar to break into your home.
To cover the sliding closet door, you will need to measure the door and cut a piece of wood or another material to fit over the door. You can then secure the piece of wood or other objects to the door with screws or nails. This method is effective, but it can be time-consuming.
Install a Winged Closet Lock
Another way to lock your sliding closet door is to purchase and install a winged closet lock. This is a great option for those who want to add an extra level of security to their home without spending a lot of money. Winged closet locks are easy to install and can be found at most hardware stores.
To install winged closet locks:
- Close your sliding closet door
- Press the adhesive strip on the back of the lock against the top corner of the door.
- Press the lock to the slides behind the other. The other door will not open until you press both of the wings down as you slide the front door open because the winged tips will keep it from opening.
- Make sure the plastic winged lock is high enough that children won’t be able to reach it.
- Screw the front of a sliding bolt lock to the door’s penetrable side, near the top.
- Install the other piece of the sliding bolt lock to the frame above the first piece of the lock.
- If the bolt slides easily into the receiving side of the lock, then install a second sliding bolt lock on the other door.
Install a Keyless Lock on the Sliding Closet Door
Another way to lock your sliding closet doors is to install a lock on the door. This is a more permanent solution, making it more challenging to break into your closet. If you’re looking for an affordable, easy way to babyproof your sliding closet doors, look no further than keyless locks.
These locks are simple to install and can be easily removed when your little one grows up. Plus, they won’t damage the door or frame like some other methods might.
To Install a keyless lock on your sliding door closet:
- Start by measuring the door so you know what size lock to buy. Keyless locks come in various sizes, so it’s important to get one that will fit your door correctly.
- Once you have the correct size lock, follow the instructions that come with the lock to install it. This usually involves drilling a hole in the door and attaching the lock with screws.
- Once the lock is in place, test it to ensure it works properly. You should also give the door an excellent tug to make sure that the lock is secure.
Install Electronic Locking Systems
On sliding glass doors, you can install electronic locking systems such as keypads or card readers. These systems offer a high level of security, requiring a code or card to unlock the door. Although they are ideal for businesses or homes door, they are also perfect for your sliding door closets to increase security without compromising style.
To install an electronic locking system, choose the location for the keypad or card reader. It is important to place it in a spot that is easily accessible but out of reach of potential intruders. Once you have chosen the location, drill a hole in the doorframe and run the wiring through it. Then, follow your electronic locking system instructions to complete the installation.
But if you are uncertain about how to install an electronic locking system, you can always call professional help. At Cobb Parkway Locksmith, we understand how to properly secure your home. We can help you install any type of security system for your sliding closet doors.
Things to Consider Before Installing A Lock System for Your Sliding Closet Door
When you have young children in the house, you may start to worry about them getting into places they’re not supposed to. If you have a sliding mirror closet door in your home, you may be wondering how to lock it so that your little ones can’t get into trouble. While many different types of locks are available on the market, you should consider a few things before making your purchase.
The Ease of Use
The first thing to consider is how easy the lock will be for you to use. You don’t want something that will be difficult for you to operate, especially if you’re in a hurry. If you want something that is easy to use, you might want to consider a keyed lock. Keyed locks are more secure than push button locks, but they can be a little more difficult to operate.
The Things Inside your Closet
The closet is where most people store valuable things like clothes, shoes, bags, and other accessories. So it is just right to have a good locking system to protect these items. There are different ways how you can lock your sliding closet doors. If this is your case, you may want to choose high-quality locks that will ensure the safety of your belongings.
The Type of Sliding Door
Sliding doors are not created equal. There are different types of sliding doors, and each type has its locking system. The most common type of sliding door is the one with a mirror. This type of door is usually found in bedrooms or dressing rooms. You need to get a high-quality deadbolt lock to lock this type of door.
Another type of sliding door is one made of wood also known as bypass doors. These types of doors are usually found in storage closets or pantries. You need to get a high-quality padlock to lock this type of door.
The Location of the Door
Another factor you need to consider when choosing a lock for your sliding closet doors is the location of the door. If the door is located in a high-traffic area, you need to get a more durable and secure lock. On the other hand, if the door is located in a low-traffic area, you can get away with a less expensive one as long as it still meets your security needs.
The Cost of the Lock
Of course, you also need to consider the cost of the lock when choosing one for your sliding closet doors. Different types of locks vary in price, so you need to choose a lock that is within your budget. Just make sure it won’t suffer the quality and security.
Sliding door closets are great storage spaces. But just like any other type of closet, it is important to have a good locking system to protect your belongings and the safety of your kids. Luckily, there are different types of locks that you can choose from.
Just make sure to consider the factors that are mentioned above before making your final decision. By doing so, you can be sure that you will get the best lock for your sliding closet doors.
Do you want to secure your sliding closet doors? Call Cobb Parkway Locksmith; we have the right tools and equipment to do the job. We also have a team of expert locksmiths who can help you choose the best lock for your needs. Contact locksmith Marietta GA now!
Looking for Locksmith In Marietta?